Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Laughing Thursday!

So it's Happy Thursday! -a self-created happy day- Sometimes I get depressed and don't really know why I've fallen into a slump (could be lack of sleep, crazy hormones, being taken away from my wonderful momma when I married the Georgia boy, lack of chocolate,etc.) but it just happens. Well, laughter is the best medicine...atleast for me it is! And it is for you, you just may not know it!

Ok, so here's my idea: each Thursday I'll have a topic where you can post your funny stories and we shall all laugh till odd things fire from our noses. Make sure to share this with your friends so that they can post too. This week's topic is....

Funny Family Stories!

Here's mine:
The parental unit was out of town and had left my sister and I in charge of our two younger sisters (they must've been desperate to get away! Or just wanted to see how survival of the fittest played out in our family). Lil Pookie (what I affectionately call my sister Mandi) and I decided to try our hand at making banana nut bread from scratch...
We preheated the oven-set out the ingredients-I would mix and she Lil Pookie would tell me what to put in-PERFECT team work...RIGHT? Well, ya see we didn't know much about cooking, much less from SCRATCH cooking. So when Lil Pookie told me to put in a CUP AND A HALF of BAKING SODA guess what I put in...
FLAMES IN THE OVEN are what came next as our batter multiplied itself right out of the pans in the oven and onto the heating elements! We calmly kinda paniced and I'm not sure what all actions we took. Meanwhile, the two youngsters are probably laughing at us. Then I decided to taste what was left in the pans (I look back and wonder how momma ever let me out of the house after she observed my decision making) and it was the MOST horrible tasting bread lump ever. It gets better when I include the fact that we where about 17 and 18 years old when this happened, so we where not young!
The parental unit did return home and we did tell them what took place. Mom got a good laugh when we told her that we had used her entire box of baking soda and Lil Pookie and I learned the valuable lesson of reading the directions a bit more carefully- 1 tsp of baking soda NOT 1 cup!

1 comment:

  1. Hehehe...ok, here goes - and this one involves the Hans Man, too! You see, sometime during Hans' freshman or sophomore year of college, the parental units took off on a cruise to the Bahamas. Hans was home for the weekend (so we would have a driver), and we had promised to help out our local Farm Bureau with an event that Saturday. And so it was that all of us kids were driving down a country road early in the morning when we crossed paths with a suicidal turkey. One minute we were rolling down the highway with nothing in sight, the next we have a huge wild turkey in our windscreen. Flew out of the tall grass on the side of the road straight into us without any warning! Shocked and a little rattled, we pulled off the road to inspect the damage. The windshield was shattered, but since it was laminated, it stayed in place (definitely a good thing since we had almost reached our destination). Unable to find the turkey, we decided that the only thing to do was to keep going. To make it even more interesting, our insurance is through Farm Bureau, so our agent was actually at the event and able to take photos of the damage right away, although we had to make the official report later in the week. That afternoon, after the event was over, we drove the van back home and parked it in the driveway. As a precaution against rain, Hans put a tarp over the front end of the van, clearly indicating something was wrong. He then proceeded to head back to college, leaving me to explain why the van was covered to the parental units when they returned home. Needless to say I was less than thrilled...:P Fortunately they weren't too upset...the insurance covered the damage without protest. The worst part was driving back into town watching the windshield flex with the motion of the car and wondering if it would stay together long enough to get there! To end on a really funny note...the agent put in the official report "Turkey hit vehicle"! Had us laughing for a while! :D

    ReplyDelete