Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When Life Gives You 99cent Bags of Lemons...

Today was a productive day! My skin is saturated with a lovely hint of lemon and my fridge and food dehydrator are brimming with lemony goodness.

Last week I nabbed 2 bags of lemons each for 99 cents during a run to one of my favorite grocery stores. I thought, "Hey ya never know what these yellow citrus acid filled balls of tartness could come in handy for!"

Tonight I put them (and myself) through the ringer! I started off making candied lemon peels later to be used for family Easter gifts. Recipe found at Candied Lemon Peels. I saved the lemon juice for a later project and the lemon innerds were tossed into the garbage disposal (Citrus, but especially lemons can be used as dissinfectants as well as deodorizers).
I saved the boiled sugar water (now infuzed with lemon after 2 hours of simmering) to make lemon aid. I have plans to freeze the rest of the yummy liquid in icecube trays to be later used to make shaved lemon ice. YUM!!!
I froze the juice that was squeezed from the lemon directly into icecube trays (I must have some weird fettish with frozen cubes! Seriously, I have chicken/pork/beef stock cubes, and parsley cubes! Hans says he has to watch what he grabs as ice to chill his drinks with) to be easily popped out and tossed into whatever I'm cooking.
So, not only do I have about 2 cups of candied peels, I have a lemon scented sink, lemon cooking cubes, lemon shaved ice wanna be's, and a nice tall glass of lemonaid!

So do you have any tart ideas you'd like to share? (Get it?! Tart...because lemons are tart)

2 comments:

  1. You just gave me a great idea to make lemon icecubes for my guys who love squeezing a lemon into everything they drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dollar tree had some really cute icecube molds. I almost picked some up to do the same thing with other stuffs. :)

      Delete